This page contains general information and answers to frequently asked questions on foreign exchange issues.

Further information on foreign exchange matters may be obtained by sending queries to the following e-mail address:

Please note that this e-mail address is only to be used for queries about foreign exchange matters. Requests for exemptions from the Foreign Exchange Act, no. 87/1992, must be sent to the Central Bank of Iceland in writing, together with pertinent documentation; cf. the fifth sentence of Article 13(o), Paragraph 1 of Act no. 87/1992.

It is also possible to make telephone queries by calling +354 569 9600 during the Capital Controls Surveillance Unit legal staff members' telephone hours, from 10:00 hrs. to 11:30 hrs. Monday through Friday.


Show all

  • Accident benefits or compensatory damages

  • Cross-border lending and borrowing

  • Direct investment by residents

  • Gifts and grants

  • Individuals' living expenses

  • Inheritance

  • Interest

  • Investment in financial instruments issued in foreign currency

  • Cash withdrawals of foreign currency

  • Legal costs

  • Contractual instalments

  • Loans - Amendments to terms and conditions

  • Motor vehicle (transport equipment) purchases

  • Non-residents

  • Non-resident´s investment in Iceland

  • Prepayment and retirement of obligations

  • Real estate transactions abroad

  • Rental income from real estate in Iceland

  • Repatriation requirements

  • Residents

  • Taxes and public levies

  • Trade in goods and services

  • Wages and salaries

  • Dividends

  • Foreign currency purchases and transfers of deposits

  • Importation of foreign currency

  • Loan repayments

  • Transfer of custody of securities issued in foreign currency